Total Pageviews

Monday 20 February 2012

FIFA 12 - A Revised Look

Since my last swipe at FIFA 12, I have learned that you can get rid of the horrendous new tactical defending! *Fireworks* Yes, all you need to do is go to the Options menu and change the defending to 'legacy'. This will change it back to more like it was in FIFA 11. So, that makes the game a lot better, right? Sadly not, as FIFA 12 is riddled with faults in other areas. I know I already reviewed this game, so why am I reviewing it again, I hear you ask. It's because it's such a huge pile of shit, that it deserves it.

But this time I'll be a bit more methodical. I'll go through all the areas which could be improved, and suggest ways in which E.A. could go about it.


1. Passing.

Last time out, E.A. implemented a new passing system in order to rid the series of 'ping pong' passing. This is where the player is able to pass accurately, no matter how the ball is passed. e.g. with the player's back to the intended receiver. The new pro passing system was carried over to FIFA 12. Now, I'm all for the riddance of ping pong passing, but what we've now got instead is something dysfunctional and poorly implemented.

The main problem is that a lot of the time, the passes are sluggish. It's extremely difficult to create a fast-paced attack when I'm forced to frequently jog backwards to collect an under hit pass from my teammate. This also makes it difficult to make longer passes along the ground, as I don't have enough confidence in the passing system in order to try them. I often try to use through-ball instead, but obviously the ball goes ahead of them rather than to their feet.


Another fault is that the A.I. doesn't realise when an opposition player is partially blocking a pass. Instead of slightly altering the destination or trajectory of the pass in order for the target player to receive it, they will try to pass to the receiver through the opposition player, as if they weren't there at all. This obviously results in losing posession.


Also, I find the passing to be extremely inaccurate. A lot of the time, I aim for one player, and I'm surprised to see that my player has picked out someone completely different. Sometimes it's beneficial, but I wish my players would pass to the player that I want them to.


2. Player Runs.

There is a special place in hell reserved for the person who designed strikers' runs in this game. If I currently have the ball with a wide midfielder or a wing back, and I get into a crossing position; where would I like my strikers to be? Hmm, in the box of course! However, they gravitate towards the wings. Every time I'm bombing down the flank, I'm greeted by one of my straying forwards doing his best to get in the way. There is the option to direct where your players move in attacking and defending situations, but it seems to make very little difference.

In other occasions, players look to make runs, then check back. Often I see one of my players make a run, so I attempt to pass to them, (often a through or chip through ball) only to see them turn back and my pass is harmlessly collected by a defender.

There are also times when players won't run where I'd like them to. I find the best example to be when I have the ball on the wing, and instead of crossing the ball; I choose to check back inside. Now I'm looking for my midfielders to burst forward towards the edge of the area, similar to a Paul Scholes position. Sadly, I'm always deserted. Plus my forwards do a miserable job of trying to find space in the box. Most of the time, they're motionless.


3. Shooting.

Scrap it.

Here are my personal favourite shot types from the FIFA series, which I would collectively like to see in the future in FIFA 13.

Long shots - FIFA 10. Long shots on FIFA 10 were the best they'd ever been. It was like roulette; every one in so many long shots would fly in; and that's how it should be. On FIFA 12 it's extremely difficult to score from anywhere mid-way inside the opposition half; except if you go through the gruelling process of learning manual shooting.

Mid-range shots - FIFA 07. If you were facing straight at goal, you'd unleash a powerful drive. If you were at a 90 degree angle to goal, then often your player would unleash a shot with lashings of curl and bend; which made great viewing! Players with average long shot capailities were capable of the same, just like in the lower leagues of football in real life. Every one in so many shots fly in, and that's the way it should be replocated.

Shots inside the box and finishing - FIFA 09 / FIFA 10. I suppose they're not too bad in FIFA 11 and FIFA 12, but players have a habit of missing open nets for some reason... Bottom line: the finishing isn't as good as it was in FIFA 09 and 10.


4. Defending.

As I said earlier, the tactical defending system can be switched with with the legacy defending system. However I'm fearful that E.A. won't give us the option in future, I hope I'm wrong!

Anyway, even with legacy defending on, it can still de difficult to successfully defend. A lot of the time it can be difficult to simply make your players put a foot in. On occasion I think I'm winning the ball, only to find that my defender is casually jogging alongside the attacker; not doing much more. Obviously you can only control one defender at a time, with option of holding Circle for a secondary defender press. That means all my other players are being controlled by the computer; and they do a poor job of attempting to mark / follow the opposition players. I can't hold eleven hands at once, so I expect the players which I'm not controlling to often be where they should.


5. Teamwork.

This is linked to passing, but I thought I'd give it it's own section. I feel that the essence of the game has been lost. In real life and in the old versions of FIFA, the emphasis was on creating great goals through teamwork; much like vintage Arsenal and Barcelona displays. Now the emphasis is on skill moves. With the wide variety of skill moves that you can now do, it seems as though this is what E.A. feels players enjoy more than anything else. That's much what you see on the internet; goals where 4 or 5 defenders are effortlessly skinned, before the player takes on the keeper, then backheels the ball into the open net. I want a FIFA game that champions constant passing and movement, (maybe some Swansea City triangles?) which everyone should agree is the fabric of the game. So, E.A., please bring the emphasis back to teamwork and movement; much like it is in real life.


Well that's about it. My fingers are ready to drop off after that typing marathon, but I think I've covered every base. If there's anything that I've forgotten, then please leave a comment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment