Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 February 2012

I'm Thinking of Going to Dubai

Nah, not really but this is what sparked my interest:


It's a video of abandoned cars in Dubai and yes that really is a Jaguar XJ220. Other deserted cars include a Ferrari F40 and a Ferrari Enzo.

It was that very Enzo (as if there'd be two of them...) that sparked my interest in this topic; having been the subject of an article by the Top Gear staff.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ferrari-enzo-abandoned-in-dubai-2011-09-29

So how does this situation come about? From all the information I could gather, these cars' former owners were people who fell into debt or simply were bitch slapped by the recession. They just flee and leave their cars and other posessions behind. That means these cars are now canvases for graffiti artists. Don't worry though folks, it's just people drawing in the dust that accumilates on these vehicles after a certain time with phrases like; 'Police, please wash me!'.

So what happens to these cars? After a period of time, they are towed away and confiscated by the Dubai Municipality. They are then taken to the abandoned cars unit in Umm Ramool, where they are kept for six months. If the owner claims the car in this time, it costs around Dh700 to release the vehicle.

As I'm sure many other people have said, there's a lovely Ferrari Enzo sized spot on my drive; and I'm currently looking for something to fill it. The good news is that if the six month period that the owner is given to retrieve their car passes, then the car is put up for auction. So anyone like me who was wincing at the thought of a rare DeLorean or XJ220 getting crushed; you can breathe a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment