Total Pageviews

Monday 21 May 2012

If I could put all the GTA titles in a blender...

I was just thinking yesterday whilst playing GTA III, and with the impending release of GTA V later this year; if I could take all the best elements from the GTA series and whip them all into one great game, what would I get? In fact, in my ideal world; this is what Grand Theft Auto V would be.

So what kind of character would take the lead role? I've always loved GTA III, and without a second thought I'd say it's definitely my favourite from the series. But the character that I always loved the most was Tommy Vercetti from Vice City. Tommy was voiced by Ray Liotta, who did a fantastic job with the character. There's also a big sense of satisfaction that comes from playing as a character who starts out as somewhat of a nobody, then as you play through the storyline; eventually takes over the city. Tommy's humble beginnings in Vice City saw him take part in a drug deal that went sour, leaving him to attempt to gain back Sonny Forelli's money in any way possible. By the end of the game, he'd disposed of Ricardo Diaz, Lance Vance and Sonny Forelli; leaving Tommy as top dog in the city. I'm not sure what it is, but I get a greater sense of power and control when I'm playing as Tommy, more-so than any other character. He feels like a boss; a character that's a born leader.

The 'humble beginnings to top dog' was the template for both GTA III and VC really, though while playing as Claude in GTA III, I didn't quite get the same feeling of 'owning the city' by the end of the game. Maybe it was the lack of a mansion safe house, like Diaz's (or should I say Tony Montana's?) home in Vice City. In addition, other characters in the game refer to Claude as Fido; which is a name usually given to a companion or second-in-command. In San Andreas, CJ was a satisfying main character to play as, however the story line focused more on street gang wars than disposing of top crime bosses. Finally, Niko Bellic of GTA IV isn't a character I was particularly able to warm to.

So where would the setting be? I'd definitely prefer it to be a completely original city, rather than a more-or-less copy of a real city; GTA IV - New York. I thought San Andreas was the best of the bunch, in terms of exploration. There were 3 distinctive types of city, plus countryside and desert land. I remember seeing a new myth appear on the internet every week about something lurking in the countryside or desert, whether it was Leatherface, Bigfoot or the Epsilon Program; and that only made me want to explore the areas more. I'm also in favour of another GTA title that's set in the past. By the looks of the GTA V screenshots so far, it looks like it'll be set in the present time. So that's two in a row now; as GTA IV was also set in the present. So, they've covered the 60's with GTA London, and since covered the 80's, 90's and naughties. Obviously there's a gap in that list; the 70's. I know Driver Parallel Lines was set in the 70's already; and to be honest it captured the zeitgeist very well. But I'd love to see what Rockstar could do with a game set in the 70's; after all it'd probably be even better.

So what about the vehicles? I've always preferred the classic set of vehicles; Sentinel, Cheetah, Infernus etc. A few new additions are ok, but personally I like to see different incarnations of all the names we recongise. Alike to the setting, I prefer to have some originality with the vehicles. All the cars and cities in GTA are based off one thing or another; but I'll always be for 'loosely based' rather than 'exact copy'.

Other stuff. I've heard that Rockstar are omitting all the activities like going bowling or hanging out with friends. All I can say is... THANK GOD! That's where Saints Row gains an advantage over GTA as you're not wasting time playing darts or dinning at fast food outlets. When playing it you're very aware that you're playing a game and that's how I think it should be. Rockstar went down the wrong line whenever they attempted to make GTA too alike to real life. Whether it be going internet dating or simply going for a burger at Cluckin' Bell; it's just an annoyance that you're forced to deal with. Things like that should be dropped in favour of a fun, fluent game.

No comments:

Post a Comment